Accessing information we have about you

You’re welcome to ask us what information we have about you at any time. In line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) this will be dealt with under the Subject Access Provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA). Put simply, this act gives people the legal right to request access to their personal information.

The information we hold about you will likely be in the form of health records and is defined in the Data Protection Act as being any record which consists of information relating to the physical or mental health or condition of an identifiable individual and has been made by or on behalf of a health professional in connection with the care of the individual.

If you would like to see or obtain a copy of your health record, you will need to make a subject access request, providing proof of your identity, to the Subject Access Request Team at NCH&C. A link to our request form is above, please complete this and we will send you the relevant documents to complete.

There is no charge for the time and administration involved with processing subject access requests except when additional copies of already supplied information are requested. We have 30 days to supply your information from receipt of your request. Please note though, we’re unable to begin processing your request until proof of ID is received. As the data controller, we need to ensure that the request is actually from the data subject concerned. Proof of identity can be a copy of a formal document or bill with your name and address on it or your driving licence or passport.

In certain circumstances your right to see some details in your health care record may be limited in your own best interests. We also can’t provide you with any information that might identify any other individual unless that person agrees. Your family and friends are not allowed to ask to see your records without your written consent.

If you’re unhappy with any aspect of the way in which we deal with your Subject Access Request, you may complain in writing to the Information Commissioner at:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Email form:

Tel: 0303 123 1113

Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Act gives everyone the right to request access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities. This is aimed at promoting a culture of transparency and accountability across the public sector.

Before you submit your request, take a look at the links to information below where you may find the information you require. If you can’t find what you’re looking for on our website or would like to make a Subject Access Request, please use our online form.


                                                                                           PUBLICATION SCHEME

Share this page